With young children in the home, it’s likely that bed wetting accident is going to happen at some time.
Accidents can also happen in later life or if you have pets in the home.
Cleaning urine from a mattress isn’t the most enjoyable task but if you act quickly you can prevent nasty odours from setting in.
As a general rule of thumb, you should clean the urine from the mattress as soon as possible and avoid letting it dry.
Step by Step Instructions
Just follow these steps to thoroughly clean urine from almost any mattress.
These steps will also work on most other surfaces including carpets and rugs:
- Soak up as much urine with paper towels as you can. Avoid rubbing the urine as this will just push it deeper into the mattress, just blot or press the tissue against the surface.
- Gently sprinkle baking soda on the surface as this powder is extremely absorbent and will soak up any excess urine you missed with the paper towels.
- Mix one part water and one part vinegar and put into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the surface of the mattress and allow to soak in for a few minutes before dabbing dry with the towel.
- Repeat the spray/dab process a few times and then sprinkle baking soda onto the mattress to soak up any remaining liquid.
- Relocate the mattress either outdoors or to a well-ventilated room and leave for 24 hours.
- Use a hoover to vacuum up the remaining baking soda.
Now you know how to soak up urine from a mattress and prevent nasty odours from setting in.
We suggest you avoid using any harsh chemicals or odour-eaters on a mattress, these can cause rashes and other skin problems.
Prevent Future Accidents With a Mattress Protector
Mattress protectors are great ways to prolong the life of a mattress and waterproof versions are perfect for those likely to wet the bed.
They’re also ideal for anyone who suffers from excessive nighttime sweating.
Mattress protectors usually come in several different sizes:
- Cot size – 70cm wide
- Single bed – 92cm wide
- Double bed size – 137cm wide
- King size – 152cm wide
You can also purchase pillow protectors and duvets for complete protection.
These products are soft, comfortable, breathable but waterproof and are a far cry from the old crispy products you may have experienced as a child yourself.
Amazon has a wide choice of mattress protectors, just make sure you choose a waterproof one: